The 2022 NFL Draft was fairly good to the Florida Gators, who had three gamers chosen, together with one within the first spherical.
Florida State may also brag about having a first-rounder. UCF had one participant picked, late within the sixth spherical, and the Miami Hurricanes had a seventh-rounder.
But that was it in an off 12 months for Florida schools.
Dade/Broward excessive colleges fared comparatively properly as 4 from that class received chosen, together with three within the second spherical. In truth, two South Florida gamers had been chosen on consecutive picks in Round 2.
Here’s a better have a look at the non-University of Miami gamers with native ties who received chosen:
Florida cornerback Kair Elam went within the first spherical, twenty third total, to the Bills. Elam was Florida’s eighth first-rounder up to now 9 years.
▪ FSU defensive finish Jermaine Johnson II was picked within the first spherical, twenty sixth total, by the New York Jets. ESPN’s Mel Kiper had him ranked eleventh total. The Jets had him eighth on their board, they usually traded as much as get him.
The Seminoles have had a minimum of one participant drafted in 39 consecutive drafts, the eighth-longest streak within the nation. They have had 46 first-rounders, which ranks prime 10 amongst all applications.
Johnson was the ACC Player of the Year and a first-team All-American in 2021, producing 18 tackles for losses and 12 sacks. He had 5 TFL and three sacks towards Miami.
▪ In the second spherical, at choose No. 50, broad receiver Tyquan Thornton was chosen by the Patriots. Thornton, who performed at Miami’s Booker T. Washington, had a profession 12 months at Baylor in 2021, catching 62 passes for 948 yards and 10 touchdowns. He made second-team All-Big-12 and left Baylor prime 10 in program historical past in receiving yards and touchdowns.
▪ In the second spherical, at No. 63, ex-Miami Central working again James Cook was picked up by the Bills. He received a nationwide title with the Georgia Bulldogs final season, and a Super Bowl title with Buffalo is now inside his grasp.
In 2021, Cook had profession highs in yards speeding (728) and touchdowns (seven). He averaged 6.7 yards per rush.
▪ The subsequent choose went to the Broncos, who picked ex-St. Thomas Aquinas defensive finish Nik Bonitto, who performed his school ball at Oklahoma. In the previous three years, he produced 33 tackles for losses, 19.5 sacks, seven passes defensed and three turnovers.
Bonitto began 30 consecutive video games to shut his profession, making second-team All-American in 2020 and third-team All-American in 2021.
▪ In the third spherical, at choose 95, Florida defensive deal with Zachary Carter went to the Bengals. Carter, who had 7.5 sacks final 12 months, is a high-motor defender who is predicted to compete for rotational enjoying time instantly.
▪ In the fourth spherical, at choose No. 107, Florida working again Dameon Pierce was picked by the Texans. He rushed for 574 yards and a 5.7 common in 2021.
▪ In the sixth spherical, at No. 217, ex-American Heritage linebacker James Houston was picked by the Lions. He began his school profession at Florida however completed at Jackson State.
▪ In the sixth spherical, at No. 220, UCF received on the board with defensive deal with Kalia Davis getting chosen by the 49ers.
Kiper stated Davis would’ve been a second- or third-round choose had he not suffered a season-ending knee harm final 12 months. Davis, who got here to UCF as a linebacker, additionally missed the 2020 season resulting from COVID considerations.